My boyfriend loves gaming and is an ardent Playstation fan. I preordered him a PS5 for Christmas, but haven’t told him. I don’t think he’s bought one for himself (yet). He just got a new gaming PC build, and it’s the kind of thing he would tell me about.
1) How do I keep him from buying one between now and the holidays without telling him straight up I bought him a PS5?
2) Dudes — would you rather have a new console given to you in the box, or all set-up and ready to play with on Christmas morning?
3) I know that some retailers, like Best Buy, let you do console trade-ins. I looked into it and my bf’s PS4 would get about $90. Is it worth trading in his PS4 vs selling it / handing it down? I have no idea how I would get his PS4 away from him to secretly trade it in.
4) I got him the version that takes game discs, not just digital games. Will his old games work with the new console?
5) Is there anything else I should think about / consider to make this a nice gift? Concerning consoles/gaming?? I only game on Steam or my Switch, so I don’t know a lot about consoles.
EDIT: thank you for all the responses!! We’ve both had a really hard year and I just want to end the year with something that’ll make him really happy. Will post an update when I give it to him, and a reaction pic if I can get one 🙂